Saturday 26 February 2011

A day of mini disasters and a Starburst

Yesterday, Nikki and I went for a trip to Eastbourne.  It turned out to be one of those trips of silly comic disaster with:
  • miserable, sniffy babies who grizzled (aww)
  • half-term queues
  • food so bad we sent it back
  • getting the price of things wrong and then having to change our minds at the till 
  • oh, and a friend who joined us managing to drive her car with roof box into a multi-storey car park only to find, there was NO way it was going to be able to get out again.  This little event required us to stand in a multi-storey for half an hour whilst the security guards were sympathetic (with thinly veiled amusement).  Dragging the husband home from London with the roof box key was, it appeared, the only answer.  No one ever likes to confirm the "baby brain" reputation, but for a moment that's how we felt!
Anyway, I was determined to finish the Starburst cushion for Nikki, to make up for the day, and finish it I did, aided by Paella and half a bottle of sparkling wine :)


(You can see my earlier progress here - using an excellent tutorial from Film in the Fridge).

Thanks for your comments on how to finish it.  In the end I opted for a rectangular cushion with the starburst set off-centre.  James also persuaded me to quilt it, to make the colours stand out, and he was right! (amazing for a guy who really does NOT do fabric).


It's backed with a piece of Valentino cashmere (I know!) which I picked up for £2.50 in a charity shop, and a little touch of purple.


Oh and I'm linking up to Sew and Tell Friday over at AmyLouwho!  I know it's Saturday, but I did finish it yesterday, honest!

x

8 comments:

  1. So, so pretty. I really like the grey with it. Brings the colour out. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish. Great colours and the setting of the bloch is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your friend's husband wasn't too cross, I had to giggle as that's the sort of thing that happens to me, so glad I'm not alone.
    Lovely cushion the star burst has turned out perfectly and I love the purple on the back.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments all!

    To Kathryn, will give that raw edge applique a go sometime soon!

    to Moo and Mouse, she wasn't too happy at having to call him, but texted later to say "all's well that ends well". Apparantly, he should have removed the box after their holiday a couple of weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillow is super cute! I love it! Thanks for narrating your excursion. It was a fun read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valuable infoгmatіon. Foгtunаte me I found your site accidentally, and I am surprised why this accident did not
    cаme abοut in advаnce! Ι bookmarked
    it.

    My wеblog: web Cam

    ReplyDelete