Friday 6 January 2012

Easing back into it...

I have to say I've been a bit slow to return to the sewing machine this year...so yesterday I decided to ease myself back into it with a spot of online fabric browsing!  No purchases made (yet!) but I did spend an inordinate amount of time perusing the amazing selection at the Fat Quarter Shop in order to enter the Quokka Quilts bloggers choice competition (despite telling a few bloggy friends that I was going to avoid it, to prevent being tempted into buying lots!)

For those not in the know, this is a fabulous opportunity to fritter a few hours picking a dream bundle of fabrics from the huge range at the Fat Quarter shop.  The entries will be judged and the best fabric selection will win 15, yes 15! half yards of fabric.

Now there are lots of amazing fabric selections already and I really struggled to come up with something different.   My first idea, to choose the colours used in the table runner I recently made, were scuppered when I couldn't quite recreate the look I wanted....so instead I came up with this:
1.Ruby Sundae by Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabrics  2.Cherry Garden Pindot by Michael Miller Fabrics  3.Kaffe Classics Cantaloupe aboriginal dot by Westminster Fibers  4.Happy Mochi Yum Yum in Lemon by Monica Solorio-Snow for Lecien Fabrics 5.Lemon Grove Yellow Swirly Light Ground by Alice Kennedy for Timeless Treasures Fabrics  6. Pinfeathers Lime Ditsy Leaves  by Carina Gardner for Northcott Fabrics 7. Pocket Full of Posies Key Lime Polka Dot  by Foliage for Windham Fabrics 8. Peacock Lane Turquoise Falling Flowers by Violet Craft for Michael Miller Fabrics 9.  Lanikai Navy Gridlock by Dear Stella Fabrics  10. Early Birds Plum Polka Dot  by Jane Sassaman for Free Spirit Fabrics  11. Echo Purple Lina  by Lotta Jansdotter for Windham Fabrics 12.Heirloom Amethyst Blockade Blossom  by Joel Dewberry for Free Spirit Fabrics 13.Free Spirit Designer Solids Slate Grey by Free Spirit Fabrics 14.  Bella Solids Silver by Moda Fabrics  15. Free Spirit Designer Solids Winter White  by Free Spirit Fabrics
 
I opted for rainbow palette because even though it may be a bit "done" really it's my long standing favourite fabric combination, and to keep to a theme I selected mainly single colour/white fabrics...so that whilst all the prints are by different designers, they all look like they've been created by silhouette or light-sensitive paper.  My solids are greys and a crisp white, all ready to stitch up into a rainbow quilt :)

That exercise was so much fun, that I was reinvigorated and stitched up the first of the things on my urgent list, a make-up pouch especially for Jess, the winner of my give-away before Christmas.  Jess said she likes blues and purple with grey, so I aimed for a classy look (for this classy lady!) with a Philip Jacobs print.

On it's way to you Jess, hope you like it!

x

9 comments:

  1. are Rainbows "done"?! Nah... LOVE your bundle, especially the way that they are all single colour and white. Fabulous bundle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pouch! And I'm one for bucking trends so be the rainbow girl we all know and love! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bundle! I had one pulled together, and then discovered some were sold out, and then the replacements weren't doing it for me, so I'm going to have to start again this weekend *sigh* Oh well, it's fun to browse :oD

    Love that pouch with its huge flower

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bundle...and the pouch is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bundle is so unique! I love it - I think you have a good chance! :) For real - I haven't seen one like this (I also haven't checked the competition in a few days, but still!)
    I LOVE it, Ceri!! I can't wait to get the giveaway package in the mail! When I do I'll let you know and show it off on my blog ;) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your selection and actually want it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ceri,
    Have a look over at my latest blog post - there's a surprise there for you.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the rainbow you created!! This makes me think of something red pepper quilts would use to make one of her creations. :)
    Lovely bundle!

    ReplyDelete